12.15.2005

doors to nowhere

Here is a concept not often used in architecture, but often used by builders and rennovators: Build the walls around the doors.
The trip through the labyrinth of the Demolition Depot last week with the Mystery Woman (above) revealed the value of what I typically score from the trash in my building.
And I have scored again. Thanks partly to the season and partly to the fact that he has to clear out the basement, the super gifted me with six doors, some with hardware. Two old glass-paned French door types which are wide enough to be perfect for the wheelchair access interior doors downstairs, and four solid wood closet doors, one with decent mirror. By the calculations of the Demolition Depot (which I in no way endorse), that's upwards of $2000 worth of doors. Yes! And Bob and Hector (below) were nice enough to help me load 'em up in the truck. Hopefully the Demolition Depot guys won't steal them off the street before I book.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Not when your brother is hopefully building the walls.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm speechless. Nothing is finer than a fine trash find. I was 9 years old the first time I dived into a dumpster. My mother said I was going to grow up to be a trash-picking bag lady. Became a journo instead, like she always wanted to be. Shoulda stuck with the bag lady thing. Coulda spun it as "architectural rescue". Only I wouldn't sell at a 3,000,000 percent markup and I certainly wouldn't sell to whiny waspy blonde couples.

Of course that means I'd be poor. So in the end I guess I'd be a trash-picking bag lady after all.

But Claudia, you have the TOUCH. Objects (and people, come to think of it) come to you for rescue.