12.09.2005

narnia, or the original lion king


A movie made from the Chronicles of Narnia opens today, the first of a series. Annoyingly, Christian bookstores are making a coordinated push to sell the books. There is no question that Christianity runs very deep in the stories. What no one seems to have focused on is that it is a brand of Christianity that betrays its deep roots in paganism and archetypal myth. You've got tree worship and the occult, witchcraft and blood sacrifice for power--all the facets of pagan worship that, cooptedd by the church, made Christianity so successful. OK, you've got the father (the Emperor from Beyond the Sea) and the sacrificed son Aslan), but those are deep archetypes from ancient agrarian civilizations, and I defy anyone to find the more recent holy ghost in the Narnia books. While not the intention of the author, the Chronicles seem to me rather a subversion of Christianity than support. For What Happened After, check out Return to Narnia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't like The Lion King. I didn't like it at all.

I much prefer Bela Lugosi's Dracula.

As far as the Hobbit films go...well. Let's put it this way. I'm so not into fairytales.

So do you really thing I'm going to see this?

And like, you care if I don't, right?

I'll go see this with you if you'll watch "The Thing" with me. That's the 1951 James Arness movie.

Not Moxie and the Device.

Anonymous said...

This is the comment I tried to post under Return to Narnia. But couldn't. Since you have to be a registered blogger. I know...I am. But I can't remember my password.

"I didn't know you were writing this.
For once, I don't know what to say.
Perhaps best I say not much, until I figure this out.
Especially since I haven't read Narnia, part 1, and have no frame of reference. "