12.29.2005

wind hole

port hole
There have been complaints lately:
"Why so many window pictures?"
"Are you just observing life and not participating?"
"Are you spending too much time on the inside looking out or vice versa?"
Let me just say that my obsession with windows has some basis in reality. Other than the frame, which is also worrying me, windows will be the single biggest cost of this new house. I spent some quality time with the Andersen "Coastal Product Guide for Professionals" (which Pomegranite found for me at the dump after The Architect threw it out) this morning, and I am panicking big time.
I can't even order. I know I need the Storm Watch series, but do I want the High Performance Impact Resistant Glass or the Monolithic Clear Laminated Impact Reisitant Glass? What should the performance rating be, DP +50/65 psf or more? How about the AAMA/NWWDA? What is the AAMA/NWWDA? No freaking clue. The details for the rough opening are still scarier. Buy windows, pop em in, trim em out—that's all I knew.
I do know that with building codes for hurricane areas being enforced it will be more money per square inch of glass than I can imagine.
So, yes, I'm obsessed with windows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean plexiglass is not an option?

Anonymous said...

Why not just have a series of French Doors of varying proportions throughout? Do they have to meet these codes?

If not, it would be a good oportunity to use a little plexi, maybe some fiberglass, and get down with Dennis. Remember him?