8.17.2010

note to self




Something isn't right, I thought as I came into the apartment yesterday. And then I found it: a trail of bird shit and feathers from window to window, over silver- ware, stove and sink, teapot, couches, rugs and floors. The spoor led into my bedroom, up to the ceiling fan, to the hard-sought copy of Granny's Wonderful Chair, over my bed and to the window.
And there it was, expiring behind my bed. A fledgling pigeon, little pink and gray dove.
I picked it up with a towel and set it on the window sill. I took it some water. It peered over the edge. And then it flew away.

6 comments:

Country Hick Chick said...

Awe. What a touching story. Lucky for the bird that it was your window it flew into. You had compassion on him or her. I think some would not after it had dumped all over their place. It is probably thinking "how did I get out of that may-uss!."

Dianne said...

Poor widdle birdie. How long do you think it had been there?

CJH said...

Shit happens.....always some shit to deal with,........lucky little bird to have strayed into Chez Claudia

otra rubia said...

Claudia's Home for Lost Souls All Species Welcomed -- We Don't Discriminate.

neruda said...

I agree definitely lucky bird...how come no picture of the bird? or did I miss it?

Claudia said...

Went off into the blue yonder as I got my camera, leaving a new meaning for the word dropcloth.