8.20.2010

the hired man

"I don't know what to do," the farmwife  said. "He never shows up when he's supposed to." There is a lot of work on the farm—horses, cows, fencing, haying—and then there are all the houses she rents out. They are a lot of work too. Especially the one she rents to the hired man and his family; he is several months behind in rent, and is supposed to be working it off. But he doesn't show up. The farmwife's kitchen, which he is meant to be renovating, looks like a demolition crew blasted through.
      "What did he say was the reason today?" I asked.
      "You will not believe this," she said. "He said he had to go to his appointment  with a psychiatrist. For depression."
      "What's the problem?"
      "He says," she wailed, "the reason he's depressed is because he owes me money!"

NB This photo does not picture the hired man. It is meant to be  evocative.

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh my. This story sounds familiar as I look at the mess still on my porch, in the pick up in my drive, and the junk in my storage room from a renter/work on house for rent. Don't they know the best cure for depression is work and dealing with the mess? I wont even get start about the work never done. It is the new American work ethic. The recent cover of Time was "Is America Islamophobic?". Next month the the cover story should be "Is America Workophobic?".

cba said...

Farmwife?

How about Cattle Mogul.

Much more exciting. And I thought he was doing the kitchen. Last time I was there he was, anyway.

Nice grey tile.

Bo said...

Good Work [brings fun]

I cinch my belt
lace my boots real tight
today's work--enuf wealth
to bring me home tonight




Write Hard LIve Free,

T.H.E. Bo - Friend of the Working Man

Dianne said...

Supposedly he'll be out of the rental by the end of the month...& supposedly he is coming today to put up trim in the kitchen...

Did I say supposedly...

Claudia said...

And is he moving to the Kosh house?
Supposedly?

Dianne said...

Supposedly...

neruda said...

I think he just needs a good old prescription to Wellbutrin Prosac Zoloft etc etc etc....