3.26.2009

about the roof


OK, I know. Yes, some of the sheets are actually by Martha Stewart. But keep in mind that my after pix are carefully styled and that the rest of the place is junk—like the roof.
I was putting the bed together ("Are you sure you want that bed? It's for a spare room, right?" Very spare. "Yes.") after the delivery guy and his girlfriend heaved it up over the parapet, when there was a thunderstorm. Now, I knew there was a leak, but the previous owner thought he had fixed it. And he did put on a new tin roof. Probably not such a good idea for a flat roof. So wherever he fixed it, the water just ran to another low point. When it started pouring in, it was coming down on my new bed. I heaved the bed out of the way and ran downstairs to get a pail and some towels. The downstairs was awash and it was raining through the light fixture on the ceiling and coming in under the door.
"Why didn't you take video?" asked Dianne. Video? I could barely keep my hair on. Almost two inches came down in a very short period of time, judging by the empty paint trays outside.
I slept soundly in my new bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a very big bed.

For one person, that is.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is not for one person.

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you got a good night's sleep.

The colors in this picture are so fab. A work of art. Maybe you should line the ceiling with brightly-patterned umbrellas -- or the Magritte sky umbrella from Moma.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay_Sky%20Umbrella_10451_10001_12210

Anonymous said...

I thought you wanted a water bed?