3.09.2005

hot cars

The owners of two Lexuses (Lexi?) had their eyeballs gouged out last week in front of my building. I mean, the cars had their headlights stolen so that all was left of the curved-glass modules were some wires extruded like—sorry, too graphic.
I had been marveling at the fact that in recent years all manner of Range Rovers, Porsches and BMWs seemed to live on the street unharmed. Back in the bad old days on the Upper West Side, a VW bug and a Buick wagon near and dear to me were stolen right out front while their unfortunate owners were indoors. There were also plenty of incidents of bashed glass despite the omnipresent "No Radio" signs. Then it was the Club. And then the alarm systems that had a habit of going off in symphony during thunderstorms. And Guiliani. But lately the same people who brought this neighborhood Coach, Barney's and Godiva haven't had to worry. We became a Lexus nexis.
It seems that a single Lexus headlight can fetch $800 on the street (close to $2000 retail, check your dealer) and are a lot easier to unplug than a radio.
I think I'll keep the Ford in the lot at least until Trump builds his next apartment complex on it. The lot, I mean, not the truck, hopefully.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Or What? dept.
Thinking of spring, which is considerably delayed here in the Georgia Piedmont, I decided it would appropriate to make plans for this coming summer. For the first time in thirteen years, my daughter has expressed an interest in summer camp, mainly because her best friend attended one last year, and had a fabulous time. So I called Camp Merriewood, in Sapphire, North Carolina, to sign her up, only to be told that, in spite of the fact tuiton for the five week period is practically $4,000, "enrollment for 2005" was closed, to the point there was no point even being considered for the waiting list, which was apparently so extensive even daughters of Camp Merriewood alumni could not get on it. Probably because Camp Merriewood looks as posh as the camp in the relatively recent re-make of The Parent Trap, the movie that made Lindsay Lohan the star she is today. In fact, maybe The Parent Trap was filmed at Merriewood. Ah well, can I pick 'em, or what?

Anonymous said...

Some guy in atlanta stole a green honda accord after leaving a courthouse... I thought he had taken my car and looked outside to be sure. My car was there so I figured honda must have made two green honda accords. He gave up peacefully later...and maybe it was the car ride that made him reconsider being on the lam. If it had a moonroof like my accord then I am pretty sure that was why he surrendered.