3.18.2020

locusts soon?

The thoughtful bucket
A steady torrential rain yesterday filled my landlady's house with ankle deep water. Lakes formed in yards, streets were swamped. And that was just rain. The river flooded too. We were protected by a levee, but upstream was bad. The dome where I stayed last year is on stilts and became an island. The Cassels were flooded up to their doorsteps. Jimmy fortunately got the horses and mules to high ground before the worst of it. The river has subsided now, but it's supposed to rain again today. The mountain it springs from is, after all, one of the ten wettest places on earth.
   My landlady seemed more concerned that I wouldn't be able to get to the toilet without getting drenched. She thoughtfully provided me with a pink plastic raincoat and a bucket, just in case.
  Check out Rosetta Tharpe's Didn't It Rain.
The pathway to the toilet. Norma's son-in-law later trenched to get water away from the house.

No comments: