3.24.2020

the last luau


 The night before I left I went, protesting, to the Cassel Castle one last time. I thought it was foolhardy for Ruth, but they can't imagine having fewer than ten people to dinner at once. As Hawaii's governor said before he shut down the island to tourists, people in Hawaii live very close to one another, many to one house, and the virus would spread quickly there.
 
   Block Island decided the same thing. The town council decided that people should only travel to or from the island except in essential roles until April 15. Any landowners showing up would also have to quarantine for this time. No sort term renters (ie my business) at all. They can extend the time at any time. See Block Island Brings Down the Hammer.
 Now Hawaiians too will have to learn not to gather—hard for them to do. But like all densely populated islands, like Manhattan, which is doubling rates of infection every three days, it's stamp it out or die. Clearly, I should have had my elective knee surgery done last fall. This fall ain't happening, nor is my resting with my internist in April. At the moment I'm sort of thinking I could shelter at Hannah's place, her former house in Providence that is empty since renters moved out. I am afraid of wearing out my welcome in Missouri too.

No comments: