3.05.2015

spring snows

It must be Purim

It's snowing outside. And it is Purim. You can read about how Queen Esther saved the Jews in Iran (timing, Netanyahu?) here, but I am not clear about why people are costumed. The site does say, however, that Purim is in a winter/spring month. You're telling me: Yesterday 40 degrees; today a blizzard and planes sliding off runway.  And then there's my spring meal. OK, I know that this looks gross to y'all. But shad roe is as sure a harbinger of spring as Frank's jonquils.  The shad, a type of herring, run up the rivers like salmon to spawn. Typically, the shad bush is starting to bloom simultaneously in Block Island. Doubt that will happen this year, however. I like to saute shad roe and serve it up with new asparagus. It doesn't have much taste other than the zing of spring.
It must be spring.

2 comments:

DaDa said...

We're still in roast marrow bone and parsely season.

Claudia said...

Mmmm. Like that too!