3.09.2015

then and now

79th and Broadway, 1972

79th and Broadway, yesterday, 2015
 The fireplug is still in the same spot, as is the Dublin House tap room. The Museum of Natural History is still visible to the East. The top picture looks pretty much like it did when I moved to the Upper West Side in 1974. But for a brief foray to Park Avenue, a year or so in Springfield, Il., a year in Block Island and Jamaica, and one in Chicage, I have pretty much lived here ever since.
   That building on the corner was a Woolworth's, not a Filene's (recently) or a  Designer Shoe Warehouse. The billiard parlor was there for a while, then it moved around the corner, and I don't know that there's a pool hall anywhere any more.
   I didn't get the angle on the photo quite right, because I had to get out of the middle of the street. Also wanted a shot of the double-length buses they have now, but it was Sunday, and the damn thing never came. For more old pix of NYC, check out this site.

  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I remember it well from '67 and on. My cloisonne class with Robert Kulick was on the opposite corner.

Claudia said...

And then we lived on 103 and CPW, which was even worse. . .

Child said...

Much worse.

D.R. said...

I miss the old buses. But not riding them, just seeing them!