11.13.2013

the more things change


Every time I come back to the city after an absence, there are new stores. For some reason, the new store erases my memory of the previous one until I go specifically looking for whatever was there before. Anyway, one of the new stores, Treat House, is clearly going for the gut of the nostalgia market by selling nothing but rice krispie treats in many revolting-looking flavors like bubble gum, pretzel and mint chocolate. I had a plain one for $2.25. Tasted like the ones I used to make as a teenager—rice krispie treats, toll house cookies or fudge were all that was on the dessert menu chez moi. But, dang, still can't remember what was in that space before. The Thai restaurant? The card shop? Something.

4 comments:

cba said...

I think this kind of Sweet Palace is a trend. And a dangerous one.

Most of these colorful treats are little more than sugar and highly toxic food coloring.

Debby said...

You can use Google maps "street view" to check out what was there before -- looks like Recipe, a short-lived restaurant. But years ago I believe this spot may have been the location of Yippie Yi Yo, a Tex-Mex place that Frank and Sam loved for the chicken-fried steak.

Claudia said...

I think they still have the rustic wood paneling from Whoopie Ti Yi in there.

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

get it together with the memory thing... would you? and when you figure it out tell me how you did it...OK? of course I might forget what you tell me...oh never mind...