3.19.2011

alla you kids, get outa my yard

"Ma'am, our trampoline is on your yard, is it okay if we leave it there?"
What was I gonna do, figure as the neighborhood witchwoman from New York (as if I don't already)? I was tempted to say, "If you clean up all that plastic shit from the back of your house and move that junk car from your front lawn," but this is the Ozarks and I am in Rome so instead I said, "Sure. If it starts bothering me I'll let you know."
  Later the same day: "Can we play soccer on your yard?"
  And today I slept wonderfully late, only to realize that the reason I was able to was because the school bus didn't stop in front of my house to load up all those eager young voices.
   I think I'll just sit around on the porch mumbling spells.

4 comments:

neruda said...

Is this a picture of your backyard? If so...keep mumbling spells...good luck with that Rome thing

cba said...

Ewww!

Not what you bargained for.

I'd put up a fence.

Either that or read them the I-Ching. With a loaded 9mm in your hip pocket.

We New Yorkers like our space.

Claudia said...

And do what about keeping my property from having the windows smashed once I'm gone?
Those tenants never last long. Tossup whether it's better to have the place empty or full of plastic craperoni.
Can't see it from the Goose anyway.
And by the way, they DID use the rim you "borrowed."

cba said...

You mean they asked for it back??

Oops.

Give them my regards.