3.16.2011

the big muddy

The Ohio, the Wabash, the Mississippi and the fields of Indiana, Illinois and the bootheel of Missouri were all in flood as I blasted through yesterday. Rain, traffic, construction and rubbernecking made it a slow trip. I was, of course, concerned that the Eleven Point River might be flooding too, in which case my Goose was cooked.
   When I arrived at the Goose, a strange shadowy figure loomed inside: An almost unrecognizable Bear, who really looks like one now. After my initial terror (not), I was very happy to see that the water was on, the heat was on, the yard was raked and seeded, the house was cleaned, I didn't need to dig for my keys—and, thank fortune, my river, at least, was within its banks.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Glad you had a nice cozy arrival. I know you must have been tired and glad to have had all systems going and the place raked, seeded, and a tidy dwelling.

Anonymous said...

Well hey to Bear and glad the Goose is still in its nest.

otra rubia said...

That was quick!

neruda said...

to travel well is better than to arrive...Lao Tsu ....to arrive well is better than to travel....KK

Claudia said...

I take it you've arrived home?