8.17.2005

balcony seats


"A balcony is going to look pretty funky on the island. Especially cantilevered," said my brother the set carpenter.
"Yeah, but it would be in your room overlooking the salt pond. Don't you want to be able to take a chair out there?" I said, after spending the morning on the phone with the timber frame architect designing the building that will be over on the far right of the frame.
"Oh, right," bro said. "My room. Yes. Yes, of course I want a balcony."
So we agreed that the only way to make it look OK was to put it on columns over the back deck. Protects the back French doors from the weather a bit. Inhibits the view and the sun a little underneath. But at least it won't look tacky.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

I don't know. Do you and Toni have separate rooms? The master suite will overlook the ocean. Also with a balcony.

Anonymous said...

Will the new love nest have a sumptuous bathroom?

Claudia said...

I am thinking—steam, sauna, fireplace. help me out here. How can I make a more sensual bathroom than the one I made before?
I'm concerned about Jacuzzi jets and sand.

Claudia said...

Well, so much for the model tenant. Maybe they'll install air conditioning in the House of Hat. Dan, if you don't like humidity, VACATION IN SANTA FE.

Anonymous said...

Hah, hah. I have it in writing. Dan and the wife and the dog are mine. Sign here: I, (your name, Dan Murphy), promise to rent the divine and historically correct House of Hat, for two weeks in the summer of 2006. I will leave the house sparkling............