7.18.2005

counter culture

Yes, the kitchen counter is made of plywood. A dumb surface, probably. I urethane it every year, and still a black ring of rot collects around the faucet.
I don't care, though. My brother, a set carpenter, made it out of a cutout for a bathtub surround upstairs. He thought it looked like a fat surfboard and carried the motif of the building's previous life as a surf shop throughout. I love it.
But now I have to think about surfaces for the next place. Wood again? It was cheap (except in design and labor, which I got at a rock bottom price). What else would I use? Stone? Cement? Corian? Tile? Lucite? Given the exigencies of the historic district requirements for the exterior, I want to run counter to the traditional look inside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enough talk about counters and shower doors. We want to hear about hot sex with the construction crew.

Anonymous said...

What consruction crew? Claudia is the construction crew...and if she is having sex with herself....well that is her business.

Anonymous said...

Okay...we are getting a little bit on the waaaay-too-visual-for-family-members side.

Anonymous said...

The construction crew she could have to help her build the new house. What possibilites...carpenters, plumbers, electricians. All could be her beck and build boys.
Hope Scotland and England are totally wonderful, and you , Oceangurl, are loving your trip.