7.10.2005

church for nonbelievers


"I have to go to church," says the Artist Known as Chang.
Well, it is Sunday, and on Sundays, if he's in town, TAKAC always heads for B & H Photo to put some dough in the collection plate. This time, he wants a new backpack. Apparently there is no perfect backpack for photographers, because they are always buying new ones. They get excited, thinking this will finally be The One. Disappoinment sets in as soon as they get the thing home, and then they either return it in despair or it joins the other rejects in the closet and the hunt begins anew. There ought to be some money in this, but since I can never perceive the design defects deemed so glaring, I guess I'm not the one to make it. At least TAKAC doesn't have to buy a new tripod. For a while there I thought I'd lost his.
Me, on Sundays I head for my own church: the newsstand. Then I commune with the New York Times and remind myself that it's a big world with a lot of belief systems, and we're all on it together, the suicide bombers, malaria sufferers, mourners, millionaires, soldiers and skateboarders hurtling over the Great Wall. It's a lot to keep in mind, which is why I only try on Sundays.
What's your church?

No comments: