4.09.2013

gals with guns

CBA (right) with Stella and their Alaskan trapper mentor @1970

Madison, champion shooter of the riflery club, April 2013
 Many of you know how anti-gun I am. Let me clarify that I am not opposed to the use of guns for hunting and target shooting but rather as "personal protection." Perhaps that's because I have not run into anyone who has faced an armed "intruder" but have known several who have put a bullet through themselves or a loved one either by accident or on purpose. (This just in.)
     And now I want to boast about my niece, who beat out all the boys to become the riflery club's biggest trophy winner! (She may be Queen of the Gun Club, but her mother is President of the Garden Club!) And that's just a way cool picture of CBA back in the day. Could have been taken in the Ozarks insted of Alaska.

3 comments:

Plaine said...

...and I have a spike. As runner-up in the Spring 2013 WITT Competition, I won it, and it was recently presented by The USPS in a custom-inscribed manila sheath.

Also, I have a hand-wrote (and illustrated ??!) testimonial from the very person who carried this thing of beauty for five (5) years. The spike was held in her left hand while the right hand thumbed down 1960s era chargers, dodgers, and flatbed fords.

I am proud of us all.

cba said...

Well, there is a downside to being a pistol packing Mama. Or, an upside, depending on how you feel about men and their nonsense.

As Irving Berlin so eloquently wrote:

Oh, my mother was frightened by a shotgun they say
That's why I'm such a wonderful shot
I'd be out in the cactus and I'd practice all day
And now tell me what have I got

I'm quick on the trigger
With targets not much bigger
Than a pinpoint - I'm number one
But my score with a feller
Is lower than a cellar
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun

When I'm with a pistol
I sparkle like a crystal
Yes, I shine like the morning sun
But I lose all my luster
When with a bronco buster
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun

If I went to battle
With someone's herd of cattle
You'd have steak when the job was done
But if I shot the herder
They'd holler bloody murder
And you can't shoot a male
In the tail
Like a quail
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun

[2]
If I shot a rabbit
Some furrier would grab it
For a coat that would warm someone
But you can't shoot a lover
And use him for a cover
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun

The gals with umbrellers
Are always out with fellers
In the rain or the blazing sun
But a man never trifles
With gals who carry rifles
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun

A Tom, Dick or Harry
Will build a house for Carrie
When the preacher has made them one
But he can't build you houses
With buckshot in his trousers
For a man may be hot
But he's not
When he's shot
Oh, you can't get a man with a gun.

Me, I prefer the gun.

Claudia said...

Well Madison has certainly disproved that thesis!