4.05.2013

this old couch

Many of you have sat (sitted? why do some past tenses just sound awk?) on this loveseat. It lives in New York. However, as you may be able to see in the pic, it has deteriorated since I last covered it. I therefore decided to buy a new loveseat. Then I decided, instead, to buy leather to recover it in hopes that it would then last as long as I will. Purchased in Alabama and carried back to NYC on the plane. Three and two half hides. I then priced recovering it. $1200 bottom. I then priced recovering it in Missouri. Circa $300. Done. Well, there are the transportation costs: to date much work on the truck, including $800 worth of brakes and possibly new tires all around. Bear helped me load the thing (with its raincoat) in the truck last night, and I left at dawn this ayem. I drove an hour to Moody, Mo., across two low water bridges, past the fish ponds and the old house, up to the yellow  doublewide and the uphostering shed and there deposited the thing (FYI Hannah and Erin, Carla's husband backed the truck out for me).  She says she loves leather—and that's a good thing.

7 comments:

DaDa said...

And without much ado, the blog too taks on new life, a one woman reality furniture scavaging and restoration show.

Claudia said...

Yes. If this woman works out I already have the next project lined up for myself. And then E has two wing chairs. . .
Probably a better idea than renting a refrigerator truck and driving organic beef back to NY...

cba said...

You guys are nuts.

I suggest we resurrect our idea to go into the moving business. B & C Five Star Transport.

Our motto, if you recall... "We can get it there...Maybe."

Why not capitalize on what we do best and do anyway?

Move junk from point A to point B

Claudia said...

What kind of market do you think there is for moving things between Madison, Ga., NYNY, BIRI and Thomasville, Mo.?

cba said...

You never know.

We can put ads in the BI Times, NYTimes, The Quill and the Morgan County Citizen.

If nothing else, we can smuggle cigarette from Georgia to NY in various overstuffed leather lounge chairs.

D.R. said...

I can recommend a good upholstery guy in New Jersey, if that's on your route. My own love seat is there at the moment getting the full treatment - 650. Not Missouri cheap, but I don't own a truck or a Goose.

Claudia said...

@D.R. You used to own a truck!