4.13.2012

how to make oatmeal for one

Day One
Wake up on a cold morning in Block Island.
Turn on fireplace.
Do not use Quaker Oats.
Start oatmeal and coffee water while blogging. Make sure to make twice as much as you eat so you won't have to make it tomorrow.
Grind coffee. Make coffee. Stir oatmeal.
Eat oatmeal like grits (only better for you) with a pat of butter, salt and pepper, while finishing blog. Or, if you must, cinnamon and walnuts, maple syrup and newspaper.
Day Two
Microwave leftover oatmeal.
Make a well in the hot oatmeal and crack a small egg in it. Pour a little bit of the boiling coffee water on top and cover until egg is cooked as you like it.
Serve with salt and pepper.
(Alt: Some people like to stir the egg up in the hot oatmeal. Ick. Some people prefer to poach or fry egg separately. See Martha Stewart.)
Now that's an oat meal!

5 comments:

DaDa said...

This will be here Tuesday for u...

http://www.amazon.com/McCANNS-Steel-Oatmeal-24-Ounce-Canisters/dp/B001DIM8NK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334323028&sr=8-3

cba said...

I'll do it!

Call it Oatmeal Benedictine.

otra rubia said...

Turn on fireplace? Gas jets?

Claudia said...

Yeah, A Vermont Castings propane stove.

Ivy said...

I don't care for McCann's. I love steels-cut but McCann's is too oat-y tasting for my taste. I feel like I've put my head in a horse's feedbag when I go to eat it.