7.24.2010

business goes bust



Opening day went sadly flat at B & C's Tube Rental. At one point we thought we had a live one when an older gentleman knocked on the door. But it turned out that he was canvasing for his son, who is running for state rep. I told him that I didn't vote here, but he gave me the literature anyway. "To tell you the truth, when he said he wanted to run for office I thought he'd gone crazy," said the father. And after reading the slate (above), I thought so too. So, nary a customer.
And then the blow fell. B appeared at the door holding an unrecognizable shred of rubber. "Our cash cow," she wailed, weeping real tears. You Tube had exploded in the heat. We didn't even hear the shot, but we felt it in the heart. Poor Bear, who was being groomed to take over as manager, felt it exceedingly. We hardly know what the next order of business should be. . .

7 comments:

D.R. said...

....like watching Lehman Bros. crumble a couple of years back.

Claudia said...

These recessionary times. . .

Anonymous said...

When at first you tube doesn't succeed try try again.
That was your first write off.

Anonymous said...

Store slogan....
We blew it

cba said...

Well, we have a new tube, as it turns out.

I took Diane with me to Garrett's Towing and Lube Service to ask for a replacement tube.

Arguing that YouTube MUST have been defective to simply explode like it did.

Well the first question the owner asked was "Did you leave it in the sun?"

I confessed that we did, "but not for that long."

Against their better judgement, I'm sure, they very kindly gave us a smaller, repaired tube.

Only, I think, because Diane Martin was present with me.

No one around here wants to risk Bad Press.

Dianne said...

You should've used Hannah's phrase:

"I know Frank Martin."

neruda said...

You had a blow out? now you need to have a blow out sale...a sale always brings them in....as far as GOD FAMILY COUNTRY goes...well it's kind of like... oh you don't want to know , shades of Friendsville PA...Sody Daisy Tenn... glad you got a new you tube...had no idea sun was a problem with tubes...who knew?