4.09.2009

squirrel's rest


I like the light on the concrete block and the new green of the tree which I won't know what it is until it leafs out. I like the sapphire of the sky. I like the way the roof steps down (although not enough for runoff without proper flashing).
The roof has another feature, too. It houses a family of squirrels. I had heard them running around in my ceiling, but didn't see their hole until yesterday. Bear was raking, and I was planting my four plants—tomatoes, swiss chard and thyme—when we heard squeaking. A baby squirrel had fallen out of the nest in the roof and was vainly trying to scramble up the electrical wires. We saw the mother looking out of the hole, but she wouldn't come down with us there. The baby hid under the air conditioner for an hour, and when we weren't looking, mom swooped down and swooped him up. She uses the tree branch for access, not the wires.
And when My Brother Chris gets here, they are so outta there.

6 comments:

DaDa said...

Are they grays? Or half Stendhals?

cba said...

They are just God's creatures. Like the mud wasps.

But Heaven help them. They think they can share space with La Belle Wolfe Sans Merci?

Leonard says Hi.

Oh, yes. Get some red fox urine from your local sporting goods store, and paint it around their hole. Scares them. Badly. The squirrels, that is.

Claudia said...

Grey squirrels.
There are red ones in the area, too.
And people like to eat deep fried squirrel brains here.
Not sure if grey or red.
CBA: Many taxidermists in the area.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know squirrels had brains.

DR in NJ

Wolfen said...

Why don't you get a nice cat? Or a chihuahua? That would keep your roof critters at bay.

otra rubia said...

I love squirrels (or skwerls). They would come into my apartment on E. 82nd Street and hang out on the couch. I didn't know this until I woke up from a nap one day and saw one asleep on the armrest. My cat, a few feet away on the radiator cover, was asleep too.

Seeing the squirrel solved a month-long mystery. From time to time I' was find an acorn in the middle of the floor. Or in my aspidistra. Or under the couch cushion.