1.30.2009

now playing at the dowling intercontinental


Like most New Yorkers, she gets up and goes to work on the subway. Except she stays on the subway, singing on the platform. You can hear her at Kathleen Mock.
I first heard her voice years ago when I was taking the subway to work, and we became friends. Now, having sublet her apartment, she's staying here for a couple of months before going back to Alabama and her family. It's a cold time to be a busker on a subway platform. She got home the other day (above) soaked from the snow, dressed in her stage outfit. When one of her friends asked her when she was going to have her hair cut, she said (in an exasperated tone), "Most of my life is spent underground with a hat and a fucking dickey around my neck, I don't give a fuck what my hair looks like!"

7 comments:

Erin said...

Tell Kathleen I said "hey."

Slipped on the ice last night so now I have a pain in my a** and a sore hand. But no broken bones, only dignity (which was already bruised by having children).

Anonymous said...

Erin: Don't feel bad. I not only slipped on the ice at midnight, my car was hopelessly stuck on the ice in a driveway shared by five other houses. And AAA said "We'll be there in two hours, but we don't offer sand, and it's the driver's discretion whether or not he can help you."

Thank God for my neighbor, who HAD sand. At midnight.

And the chiropractor.

Anonymous said...

Oh, My, God. I am so impressed. Like, this woman Kathleen should come lecture at Pretenses.

I'm beginning to wonder if Pretenses really was founded by Jeal-Anon.

I mean, yesterday in group, the councilor tried to convince me that, it like, didn't matter that I couldn't leave rehab to visit Mr. Paul, my regular hairdresser.

I mean, what kind of front can I present if my hair sucks????

I may have to leave this place. Even if Wolfen's latest news has my Victoria's Secrets in a bunch.

Anonymous said...

That Kathleen is real cute. What little we can see of her with that hat on and dicky around her neck.

Anonymous said...

Ice? On the ground? Oh yeah, I saw some of that when I was in NY earlier in the month. Here we just put it in our drinks. It's 65 in Sausalito this afternoon. I think I'll go sit on the porch and have a gin and tonic--er, I mean a lemonade.

Claudia said...

Keep rubbing it in, J.

Anonymous said...

Where would we be without the severe weather of the Northeast and the challenges it presents? Me ?..I would be down in St Croix USVI inspired and "challenged" by where to go swimming and painting next.... the ice ( if you are not skating on it) sucks!