11.12.2008

there's always missouri

Is your livelihood threatened? If you are an aging journalist (or really any paid print journalist), the answer is yes. With consumers on strike, even niche publications are laboring to find advertising, and the web has yet to find a way to pay for professional journalism. Every blogger's a writer or photographer now, with no need for that darned objectivity.
So most people I know are talking about Plan B: sublets, roommates, communes, bankruptcy, self-employment, new careers, family support. One of my former colleagues was even wishing that there was still such a thing as debtor's prison—"At least they'd have to feed you," she sighed.
Maybe they're too young to remember the Mother Earth News movement in the early 70s that sent urban hoards back-to-the-land in the Ozarks. Some of them are still there, with their hunting and garden truck, their composting toilets and off-the-grid electrical systems. I'm buying a piece for pennies, and there's enough room on the lot for a couple doublewides.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope, all things considered, that MY NAME is one of those two lots.

I, so, like pre-date the crash.

I wanted it before needing it was cool.

Wolfen said...

I'll be the one giving kayak tours.

Claudia said...

Claudia's Surf City West welcomes original settler CBA and entrepreneur Wolfen.