11.16.2008

son et lumiere



The artist Chang is now moving into sound as well as light. Here he practices his new equipment as Ed tells us exactly how the world is going to go to shit (one third of restaurants in New York to close next year), then retreats to the known, a photograph of the view from 98.
Speaking of the world going to shit, I found a Popular Mechanics list of 100 skills every handy man should know and learned from this that I am no man. Even if I kind of fiddle the truth I am no more than 50 percent. This becomes important because one of our readers has cooked up a plan whereby she puts her house on the market and we sign up as a caretaking couple with this agency for rich people with too much property, a category (the latter anyway) that we know whereof. Call it Plan C. It has to be Plan C because I'm not sure either of us has the subservience chip. Nor am I sure that the family advertising for a couple would be as forward-thinking in their own homes as, say, Connecticut. Still, it's an option better than the poorhouse.
Repeat after me, "Yes, Madam."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As half of the future care-taking couple, what does the second to last sentence in your post mean?

I'm liking the family compound in Mt. Kisco for our first gig.

The ones with five kids, and three dogs, who are only there three months out of the year.

I don't have the clothes for the Tuxedo Park position.

Do you think you could wear an apron?

Claudia said...

I mean, the state of Connecticut, which just legalized gay marriage.
As to the apron, I thought I was wearing the tool belt?

Anonymous said...

Whatever. I've been known to shingle a roof or two in my day.

Here's what it boils down to, I guess.

I probably look better in the apron than you.

Anonymous said...

Our future agent visited me today.

He said that first of all, I have to realize it is THEM who are hiring ME, and not the other way around.

I don't think he thinks I'm serious.

He also said that the people in Mt. Kisco want someone who is "a great cook, and can speak Spanish."

Si, Senior! I make the fajita tres comme il faut!

Ole. Pack your bags. Let's do lunch, East of Westchester.