1.31.2019

the west side

Since this is the West Side (though not the upper west side today, thankfully,  since it's 15 degrees there right now), sunsets are a big deal. I know it's trite to take pictures of them, but I can't help myself. When we lived out at Polihale, we were always waiting for the green flash that supposedly occurs as the disc of the sun slides into the ocean. In any case, I try to be at the beach at sunset. There is a wide array of beaches to chose from, but I particularly like Salt Pond, so called because Hawaiian salt is made in flat beds there as seawater dries. There are also a lot of homeless campers there these days, though I suppose I can't complain about that given my history.
   Anyway I was sitting there last evening with Clifford, a friend from pig hunting days back in the mid eighties.
  "I always heard about the green flash," I said. "Have you ever seen it?"
  "Yes, baby," he said.
  "Well I watched and watched, but I never saw it."
  "Maybe only certain people can see it, baby."
A silver flash 
Tourists on a sunset sail.

No comments: