6.08.2009

the bookcase

Ever since I built Hannah's house, in which the master (mistress?) bed faces the ocean, I have been wanting to likewise reorient the bed at Claudia's. It was difficult because I did not have a wall. But I tried moving the bed first and liked it and decided to build a wall—or rather a bookcase, which is what we use for walls here.

I used the same 1"x 8" rough cut pine that was used to make the walls, so eventually it should age to a similar golden color, and the headboard will look like an extension of the wall. OK, so my bookcase may not be as square as my brother Chris's wall.

And now when you wake up in the morning (really unconscionably early in the morning given the east-facing direction, the damn birds and the upcoming summer solstice) you can sit up and look out at this. . .

Whaddya think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saweeeet!

Wolfen said...

So is it better sleeping facing the sun?

otra rubia said...

gorgeous. now if only those two sailboats would stay put...

caseplace said...

Way to think outside the box and get what you want!! I rented a house in South Carolina with that orientation, and it was awesome. Being able to enjoy the sunrise and then going back to sleep is the way it should work.

Michael said...

two thumbs way up!