6.25.2005

summer people

The summer people are here now.
They have their bicycles and mopeds, their SUV's and surfboards, their Mercedes convertibles and kayaks.
They ain't goin' anywhere. Except out to dinner.
They don't have a tan yet, but they do have an attitude. And service personnel, increasingly from foreign countries. And, often, really bratty blond kids.
I was once a summer people, so I can't really revile them. I too made my money in the city and spent it on sand and sky. I too brought with me the things I couldn't live without, olive oil and Zabar's expresso (and, I confess, a Mercedes). I too found my piece of paradise and bought it. Maybe it didn't cost a million dollars, but it seemed like a lot of money to me and the other people already on the island.
It's the new summer people's turn now.
And now I rent my place to them.
And there's always another summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a depressing posting. Summer is not over. The posting sounds like an end-of-summer, leaving your friends, going back to work, type of thing. It is not the least bit inspirational. Nor is it a "spit in your eye" post directed towards the lice that infest our dynasty. Everything was better in summer just like everything was better in childhood. Now life is over and we have to work and rent our paradise to survive and the chinese are going to take over the work...so fuck, let's throw in the towel now. What's the use in living?

Anonymous said...

Oh,my. Why not just realize that it's all illusion anyway. So why get upset? The towel, the Mercedes and the blonde brats are all made of the same substance as you and me. Its all akashic to me.