7.31.2019

fragile infras

So Block Island was in a mess. Verizon DSL internet wasn't working nor were cell phones. Service is always marginal, but this was just plain not happening. Credit cards couldn't be processed, people couldn't work, tenants were calling me wondering if I'd changed my password. A mess. You can hear about that here.
  It was a desert island. No communication except by boat. We were reminded of the island's dependence on a very few monopolies.
  Douglas went on a riff. I believed him at first.
 If Interstate wasn't running the ferry service, we would be, um, dead in the water. There would be no mail and nothing in the grocery store. And speaking of the only grocery store on the island, run by Mary Jane, we are dependent on that too.





2 comments:

DaDa said...

What does it mean to only get published in your ex-wife's blog?

a. You kinda like it.

b. It's better than the NY'r these days, so why not?

c. No body reads it anyway, so what the hell?

d. Only kidding.

e. None of the above.

f. All of the above.

g. Oh, geez, I'm doing it again.

Claudia said...

You should be gratified. I hardly ever publish something I didn't write or photograph. And we loved it! Me and all 10 of my readers!