5.22.2014

railing against the weather

What to do about porch railings.
See this? Redwood. Expensive, weatherproof redwood. Rotted. Every year the same thing only worse. Fight with the nail gun to get it working. Renail all the railings where the nails themselves have rotted through (salt air+metal=fucked up). Replace railings that have rotted from water settling in the nail holes. Paint. Pray they hold up for another season.
   PS The reason I had to replace the roof was not that the cedar shingles had rotted, it was that the nails had corroded through.
   You know what survives this climate? Plastic, baby, plastic. I'm talking Azek railings the next time around. No rotting. No painting. Live forever. Only one problem. I would not live forever. No, I'm not afraid of Jimmy Sponducci. My brother and my brother-in-law would kill me. So I say, let them replace my damn railings. At least with pressure treated.

5 comments:

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

plastic is sounding pretty good right about now!!!!

Dianne said...

Here in the Ozarks we used to use wood treated with creosote. Then that was deemed unsafe so we switched to 'Wolmanized' wood. Of course, Danny called it "womanized", but then he called wasps "waspers"...

Maybe you can be the first to use "womanized" wood on BI!

Claudia said...

I'm all for womanizing!

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

so what turns a piece of wood from plain old wood to wolman???

Claudia said...

Apparently environmentally friendly copper and fungacides. here is a link
http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/WOLW/Products/Preservative/Genuine/default.htm