8.20.2012

my new favorite painter

The whole reason I went to Walmartland in the first place was to go to the Walmart heiress's museum, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (though I cannot recommend their website whatsoever). The collection is wide ranging but spotty. Famous people with mediocre work, not-so-famous people with beautiful work, and some very famous people with very great work.
  I'm no critic, but I know what I like. Well, actually I am a critic, a critic without much of an eye or many credentials or really much knowledge.
   But I loved the museum. And this was my favorite painting, done by a painter I knew little about, Marsden Hartley. Yes, I am not stupid and I can see that he was influenced by others of the period. But, hey, I don't care—I have a whole new oeuvre to discover! And I do love this painting, which does not strike me as derivative at all.
  Upcoming: More art posts! I know y'all can't wait. . .

3 comments:

neruda said...

welcome to my world ...this guy has been a favorite for years and always inspires...wonderful strong no bullshit approach....wait till you see his portraits...or did you?

neruda said...

oh I forgot to say....you have good taste in artists...keep it up...check out most recent "Rivers"

William Hill said...

I have been considering your assesssment that the collection is spotty. Take into consideration that it is limited to American artists. Subtract all of the landscape painters and more or less contemporary artists from outside the U.S. and the collection looks better.