11.18.2011

boogaloo down broadway

This xerox of a photograph hangs on the window of the empty storefront where H&H bagels used to cook. The view is of Broadway looking uptown from just south of 79th Street. You can see the subway entrances on the left. The church is still there too, and the bagel store at the end of that block, though now my gym is built above it, and you can look out at the church turrets from the weight room.
   That woman in the dress is not going to the gym. And I am not going to buy bagels. Time is a conspiracy to pull the rug out from under you.

4 comments:

cba said...

Half the reason I came to New York was to have some bagels from H & H.

Yes, you have the Met, Central Park and Fifth Avenue.

Give me a lightly toasted poppy seed fresh out of the oven.

Native Son said...

Pangs of New York

"Billy Jack" Saint George Theater
Any afternoon The Ear Inn
"The Fantasticks" Sullivan Street Theater
Fanelli's
Working The Empire State Building '98
Puffy's Tavern, Hudson Street
Hearing abowt CBGBs (Patti)
Surviving The Ritz w/only lumps/scars/knuckles
Beating Keith Richard at Pool, Prescotts
Art of The Motorcycle, Guggenheim
Designer jeans on Sidewalks of NY, 1980
The Sidewalks of New York, anytime



Potato and Egg on a Roll w/o quizzicals

neruda said...

Broadway was a broad way...and if I go buy bagels and eat them I will be a broad Broad...unless I spend the day at the gym...which is not happening

D.R. said...

I miss the old and seedy NYC. (No bagel pun intended here).