11.14.2011

look out, turkey!

It was a bad day when I discovered the Sabatier with the tip broken off. Not to mention the ragged edge of my favorite Chinese knife. Naughty tenant kids.
    I was so bummed that when I brought the knives home from Block Island, I didn't look at them for a year.
    But as a certain holiday drew near, it was knife-sharpening time again. The knife grinder parks next to Zabar's (when not trolling the neighborhoods ringing his bell), and a line awaits his services.
    There are no fixed prices. I think it depends on how much he likes the knife. He charged the man in front of me $57 to sharpen one.
    Then he looked at one of my carving knives and said, "I sharpened this knife. A few years ago."
  "These other two you may not be able to do anything about," I said, unwrapping the sad remains.
   He was on his mettle (!).
"Forty-five dollars for the three."

2 comments:

neruda said...

excellent job repairing...I guess that's what happens when you cast the pearls before the swine....as it were

Claudia said...

How was NYC?