10.26.2011

roll call

It's raining, and the ice cream stores have closed. We're down to a couple of ferries a day.  Last night was what they call the roll call dinner, where everybody sees who's left on the island.
It's an early Thanksgiving dinner. People cook turkeys and all the fixings, and everybody gathers at the Harbor Baptist Church where, for a donation of whatever they want, they can eat themselves silly. The kids from the high school (all seven of the graduating class) replenish the gravy and serve blackberry and pumpkin pies and coffee. It's a chance for the island folks who have ignored one another all summer to socialize. And we did.

Um. And due to this glowing article about me in the Block Island Times, I socialized while hiding out in the corner with friends and relatives. 

12 comments:

okra said...

re: "donation of whatever they want, they can themselves silly. "

perhaps... eat themselves silly? :)

congrats on the Times article...

Claudia said...

Little proofreading problem there. . .

Debby said...

What a nice article about your life.

Having known you since 1976, I experienced most of the events described in real-time.

cba said...

Great article!

But too bad she left out that Travis Tritt asked you to join his band.

Now THAT was a highpoint.

Maybe second only to Everest.

DaDa said...

What about your interview with Richard Gere, now that was memorable, and so was the gift that came later.

D.R. said...

Now I'm really curious about the Richard Gere bit, but anyway....great article. I'm proud to know ya, CGD!!!!!

D.R. said...

P.S. Sorry to hear about the ice cream stores, but I guess it's time...

neruda said...

what did Gere give you??

Claudia said...

It was actually Gere's R person, Peggy Seigel, who gave me a sterling Cross pen from Tiffany's. She was begging for a cover after one of my reporters and then, in a last ditch effort I, interviewed Gere who would talk about nothing but method acting and his favorite European cinema directors. People mag needed something a little racier than that. I told Gere, "If you don't give me something I can print yourself, then I am going to print every scurrilous rumor about you I can dig up." And I did, and he was on the cover, and Peggy sent me the pen. There was some question about whether I would be allowed to keep it (no gifts over $25 as I recollect and it was around that), but I think I did. And then must have lost it, as with every other valuable item not attached to my person.

otra rubia said...

Just seeing this now. What a great piece. I only wish I could've told Judy Tierney about the scene in La Cité the night before you took off for Everest.

Claudia said...

You can tell me later—I don't remember it!

okra said...

That AT Cross pen was probably made a lil bit upstate in Lincoln, RI... :)