10.24.2011

big doings in t'ville

Sign at the Goose
 There was a Bear sighting, or rather hearing, over the weekend.  If I want to tell Bear something, I usually have to write him a letter. I wanted to tell him that I was going to have the plumber shut the Goose down for the winter, and I wanted to know whether he had ripped off the well housing and built a new one. So I wrote him a letter. Problem is, he doesn't write back. So I told him to call me using the phone I bought him that he never leaves on. It's a pain in the ass because, for reasons even Wal-Mart doesn't understand, you have to dial the number twice. And you can't use redial.
Anyway, he called. It took several tries to get through, but he did. The new well house (call it a well shack) is half built despite the fact that Bear got a full time job! He is working at a sawmill that will get pretty cold in winter, given that it's open on one side. And he will soon need a reliable ride with gas mileage that won't eat up his salary, but hey, it's steady work.
And then I texted him how to text.
"HI," he wrote.
Then, "firout."
That's "far out," I texted.
"OK."
Another step towards ruining one hillbilly's life.

8 comments:

cba said...

Ruining?? Oh, come on.

He loves you.

Furthermore, he's a New Yorker at heart.

Go, Girl.

Wait till I send Bear a copy of the B.I. Times. Then ya'll be in trouble.

neruda said...

hillbilly? where did that word come from ya think? I am impressed since I don't text at all...can't even read them when they do appear...sounds like you are pretty worried for him this winter?mama bear

Claudia said...

I am very relieved not to be his sole support.

Phill said...

Just the bear necessities...

Claudia said...

The term hillbilly is ok for those of us who own it. You outsiders should think of us as Ozark-Americans. Here is what wikipedia has to say about the word's derivation.

Origins of the term "hillbilly" are obscure. According to Anthony Harkins in Hillbilly: A Cultural History of an American Icon, the term first appeared in print in a 1900 New York Journal article, with the definition: "a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammeled white citizen who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires off his revolver as the fancy takes him."

The Appalachian region was largely settled in the 18th century by the Scotch-Irish, the majority of whom originated in the lowlands of Scotland. Harkins believes the most credible theory of the term's origin is that it derives from the linkage of two older Scottish expressions, "hill-folk" and "billie" which was a synonym for "fellow", similar to "guy" or "bloke".

neruda said...

wow!

Dianne said...

In fairness to Bear, the "firout" COULD have been due to autocorrect!

Claudia said...

Not with HIS phone—I don't believe it has autocorrect. . .