7.06.2009

michael, di and sarah

The news of Sarah Palin's resignation hit me hard coming so soon after the news of Michael Jackson's death.
There have been a few news events in the past, say, 20 years that have made me long for my journalistic roots at People magazine. Yes, I was there (okay, I was a copy clerk) for the very first issue in 1974.
When I heard in May 1994 that Michael Jackson had married Lisa-Marie Presley, I didn't believe it at first. It was too good to be true.
Then, on one Sunday at the end of August in 1997, I was sitting in a tiny church in Missouri listening to a Christian Identity preacher rant against homosexuals, African-Americans and the media ("the business of the journalist is to destroy truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread") when I heard that Princess Di had died, "hounded to death by the Jew media."
I was working for Life magazine at the time, and oh, dear god did I ever fiercely wish that I was fawning at the feet of Mammon right then at People magazine in the Time-Life building in Jew York City instead of singing the Doxology at the Rose Hill church wearing a borrowed skirt.
And now Michael Jackson/Sarah Palin. If only he had willed her custody of the kids.

6 comments:

Phill said...

Sarah Palin has introduced the concept of self - political satire. It's hard to get your mind around.

cba said...

Brilliant.

I wonder is she can sing?

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "if she can sing."

otra rubia said...

Apparently Sarah Palin reads everything that's written about her. Let's hope she reads your post and responds.

MJ's death might just bring Time Inc back from the brink. Then again, it might not. More layoffs tk November/December. See ya in the bread line!

neruda said...

I think she is making a run for it ,outta there, cause she is in big trouble, and if she's doing any singin it will be the blues....this is all wishful thinking of course....

Anonymous said...

i would rewrite or delete this posting of your's.
either you ARE a racist OR you are not a good writer and you just appear to be one.
jew city?
jew media?
i found your link from the nyt article ...
turned off.