5.27.2008

fame at the block island grocery


So I was walking into the grocery store at 8 ayem, when a guy checking out at the register says. "Hey, aren't you Claudia? I read your blog!"
"Yeah," I manage.
"Claudia's Surf City, right? I read your blog every day. I love the pictures and everything."
I hope I said thanks to Stephen, who gave me his card (need a summer job on Block island? He's got the website Block Island Jobs). I about forgot my grocery list (beer, half and half, beer, cigarettes--my sis was with me).
Mind you, it's easy to be famous on Block Island. I have been through a few brushes with fame for 1) my wildness 2) my windsurfing shop, Claudia's Surf City 3) being Hannah's mother 4) my scandals. And of course there were about 30 years in there when I was never out of print nationally. But no one ever stopped me on the street and said, "Say, aren't you the Claudia who wrote that story about Everest?"
Now you can find Hannah, or at least her guitar-string bracelets, at the checkout racks of your local grocery store (see this month's In Style pp 164 right hand column, above, or on line at In Style Products). So perhaps I will soon be Hannah's mother nationally.
But yesterday, on Block Island, I was that Claudia of The Web.
I said to my son-in-law. "Pretty scary to think which pictures he recognized me from." And he said, "Yeah, he was probably looking at Claudia's Sex City."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now everyone is going to look for Claudia's Sex City. CSCXXX.
Maybe you should start it with that new webcam of yours.
Or maybe you already have!