5.03.2005

stairway to hell

Well, I don’t have to wonder where all my muscles and bones are. I guess it was wrassling those eight-by-four-foot sheets of plybead around. I got one jammed halfway up the stairs.
At that point, I sat down with a cup of coffee and another of pineapple cottage cheese.
Then I put the gloves back on and heaved and scraped (yep, just polyurethaned the stairs) and finally got the thing up. No way am I taking it down again to cut out the hole for the wall socket—that’ll have to be done in situ. My jigsaw didn’t come from the Tool Crib yet. Had to borrow BI Bro’s. Also the nail gun didn’t come yet. I was hoping this would obviate the necessity of ever learning how to nail. I can’t nail without taking three or four bent ones out for each hole and banging my thumb. Also I got the wrong kind of sandpaper for the sander I got. Learning curve.
The cuts were pretty slick, though. And we’re talking dormers, angles and matching up edges of beadboard. I forgot how to reset the saw blade, so I had to get out the manual again. My work table’s a little small, so I used a kitchen chair to hold up one end of what the manuals call “the workpiece.” Is this how the pros do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just think. At least you are not in an office. Trust me. I would give two of my fingernails to be where you are right now....and my fingernails are looking pretty damn good.