1.09.2020

the rolex saga, part six

Is this story interminable or what? You can see why I was stalling for all those weeks.
   OK, to sum up: My watch stops, I get a horrific estimate for repair, I write Douglas and Barrett.
  Barrett quickly responds that she will give me her identical watch, and Douglas quickly offers to either pay for repairs or buy me a new one. I refuse both offers.
   I then begin receiving from Douglas a million texts of other watches that I might prefer, and also texts such as the following.
 The blue is my response. But Jubilee bracelet strikes me as hilarious, since this is indeed the name Rolex has given my particular "bracelet."
   And bracelet is indeed the operative word, for the watchband is essentially jewelry. I don't discover how much it is jewelry until my son-in-law obligingly goes down to Fifth Avenue to fetch my watch (I had to all but notarize a document to get them to allow him to pick it up) for me, and I take another look at the repair estimate. They want $2707.50 for a new Jubilee bracelet. I didn't want a new bracelet! I just wanted the damn thing to sort of keep time (and date).
   Meanwhile Barrett is continually sending me links to watches I could buy from Gray and Sons, an estate sales place. I could get a "like new" version with a year's warranty for about the price Rolex has quoted me for repair.
   The turkey was delicious.
   And I am still having ads pop up on my computer from Gray and Sons. Maybe when I (finally) finish this saga and don't use the W word or the R word, they will quit.

No comments: