9.21.2009

friends



There have been some complaints lately that I spread myself too thinly, spending a few days in one place with one set of friends and then moving on to the next. (Above: Me with a deer-n-the-headlights Bear, and Ruca with Yoyo.) That will certainly be the case this fall, with travel all over the country.
It makes me wonder about the recent NYT story about how friends make you quit smoking, gain weight, drink and be happy. I have smoking and nonsmoking friends, drinking and nondrinking, fat and skinny, happy and miserable, gay and straight. Most of them for many, many years now. So what's the deal? Have we influenced one another? Or are these studies totally bogus?

4 comments:

Phill said...

Maybe the general the general idea is that friends make you 'live' (whatever that is)...

...and you're likelier to celebrate when you're with friends than when you're alone.

Dianne said...

Well, you seem to be ALL those things at some point or another so maybe you just seek friends who share that part of yourself???

cba said...

Umm... let's see. Where do I begin?

Actually, I can't remember what we first thought of each other 33 years ago.

Seems to me we had a lot of fun.

Like when we used to sneak out and go dancing at The Yellow Kittens. Remember when some guys who were watching us dance thought we so wild they said "Are those girls on acid??"

I am sure we did each other proud, babe.

neruda said...

just grateful to have you for a friend..always some fun in store...etc etc etc