6.15.2020

distancing notsomuch

The Block Island ferry on Saturday morning
A revival service across from the Goose on Sunday
Local officials everywhere attribute the casting off of face masks and forgoing gatherings to "fatigue." And I totally know what they are saying. I feel it myself. On the scale of 1 Careless to Five Paranoid, I'm about a 2 now. However, the ferry on Saturday monrning gave me pause. I was not on it (tnx goddess) and had I been I would have been sequestered in my truck, but lots of other people were, and they were coming on an outin g to BI as they always have, thinking that reality isn't here and rules don't apply on vacation, drinking and carousing and careening around drunk. Payne's Dock was apparently a mega zoo.
   And on the other hand, across the street from the Goose, was the religious crowd, who believe if it's god's will, they will live. And vice versa, I suppose. Carly's son was gripped by the spectacle, and Carly herself (who took the picture) said she learned that anxiety was caused by a person stopping the flow of god. At high volume.
   Is nowhere safe? Answer: No.
   And the internet is terribly sluggish now on Block island.


No comments: