12.17.2019

oh shit

 To add insult to injury, shortly after I had my not annual physical, during which my doctor said I have high everything and basically need to quit eating and doing anything else other than going to doctors and the gym, I get the above from Con Ed. Con Ed??? Even they are giving me advice now that I am a senior citizen? I guess senior citizens are idiots.
   Well, I'd rather take advice from Donna, aging gracefully about a year ahead of me. She says that when her mother died a couple of months ago, she absorbed her mama's energy into her body, and her mother's energy is love. She says she has become more loving. And, indeed, I do think she is softer, though no less fierce.
  And then there's Miriam, who turns 90 next year. She has to do her physical therapy in the morning before she can even walk to the kitchen to make coffee. Don't have a stroke, she says. And the fall was even worse. And yet she hauls all over the neighborhood on errands with her walker. She volunteers as a docent at the Museum of Natural History. She goes out to theater or a movie most evenings. Sometimes, she admits, she would rather be dead. But mostly not. She is giving life her best effort every day. No Meals on Wheels for this broad.
Donna rips apart her book yet again to mix the love in.

Our friend Doro says of Miriam, "Damn millennials—always on their phones."

1 comment:

William Hill said...

Donna may be more softly fierce but her expression still says don't give me any crap. She should maintain the attitude at least until she is Miriam's age. At that age she might want to make a reassessment. "I don't take no crap" is a durable attitude. Maybe it helps one get to Miriam's age. When I go the the doctor and the nurse asks if there have any changes in my health since my last visit I almost always have to confess that my impatience has grown and my disposition worsened. Life happens. You? You have a firm grip on your life and keep it on even keel. A good feat at any age.