2.04.2019

chief


 In 1985 or '86, Douglas and Johnny and Barrett and I went up towards Mt.Waialeale by horseback with Pepito and Galen and this guy, now going as Chief (though if his uncle Pepito were alive he couldn't claim that title). He is mostly Hawaiian with some Chinese and Spanish. After being in and out of "incarceration," as he puts it, he discovered a talent for pen-and-ink drawings. They are mostly of real places, but he doesn't draw in situ.The pictures burst fully formed from his mind.
  He is one of 17 children, and not the only one with anger issues."They all like fight," another friend told me. But he was the child most interested in learning the wisdom of the kapuna, the old folks. At 66, he is almost one of them himself. He introduces me as Auntie. I am, after all, two years older. And he is still so proud of the Life piece I did about boar hunting with him.
  
I have pretty much been living on pupus. Sushi, ahi poke, boiled peanuts, papaya and pineapple.

1 comment:

DaDa said...

Where is His boar-tusk necklace?