6.28.2013

the pastoral life

Sometimes you just want to leave the big city for—Brooklyn. The people who live way the hell out there claim that quality of life is better than Manhattan. Note, however, that only the people priced out of Manhattan claim that.
   Still, Brooklyn has its charms. Less frequented (and less pricey) sidewalk cafes like Bar Tabac on Smith Street, for instance. As I took this picture, there were two guys doing some kind of deal just to the left of frame. I guess they thought I was taking their picture rather than that of a tree that grows in. . .  Anyway, by the time I put the camera down, they had both scarpered, and since one of them was in a wheelchair, that must have been some posthaste scarpering.
  So, yes. It was a lovely afternoon. And my lunch date has requested that I say "Yes, Ed, you were right. I am really looking forward to the gentle breezes, the vibrant street life, and the engaging social scene more regularly."
   I so am. Unfortunately, I will be out of town for the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

cba said...

I have noticed a definite trend in your going-from-here-to-there posts lately.

It's an "I'm so out of here!" attitude, indicating a certain level of exasperation and/or dissatisfaction with the departure location.

Hmm... If you feel that way once you leave Missouri, maybe it's time for a big change from the known.

Saris, anyone?

Anonymous said...

As editor and fact checker of this post I feel compelled to add a few details.

The author never wanted to leave Manhattan for Brooklyn. It was a forced march.

"Way the hell out there," is not appropriate for someone with a place in Butt Fuck, Missouri. Zip Code 66666.

And most of us wee not priced out of Manhattan. The chance live in a real neighborhood, and not have a closet count as a bed room, and be able to park a car (see last post) were the motive.

"Brooklyn has its charms," is the first accurate sentence.

I should top here. I could go on but people really don't like to be edited and fact checked.