9.18.2012

my book

No, I cannot help you sell your book.
   If I, a much published writer, cannot sell my own books, how can I sell yours? You are not a writer; you can't tell a story; and you don't know what story to tell, even though it's about yourself. Whoever said "everyone has a book in them" did me a great disservice thereby.
   I do believe that everyone has a story in them, but to find it and pull it out and make it into a book—that's what a writer does.
  And I do not want to read your "draft." It is too disheartening, and it is a lot of work. I get paid to think about stories. Do you want to pay me to read your manuscript? I didn't think so. Especially when I cannot get it published!
  I have a suggestion: Go to Blurb or another self-publishing website. Lots of advice here. Upload your manuscript. Have it nicely bound. It looks exactly like a "real" book. See if you can convince your friends and family to buy it. This used to be called vanity publishing. But nowadays some people break out. Why? Because they can write, or at least tell stories that people want to read. They have talent and promotional ability and oomph.
  And yes, there's something that brought this on. A manuscript by the son of a friend that I have dreaded opening for months.
   I finally opened it last night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to hell. I men it. I was going to ask you to update my book, but not any more.

jesus

p.S. That stuff about my wife s true but we didn't get along that well. She kept wanting loaves and fishes and when I wanted tacos.

Phill said...

You dreaded opening the manuscript, the son or the friend?

Ivy said...

Is the friend still a friend?

Claudia said...

@Phill
"by the son of a friend" is a dependent phrase or something.
@Ivy
Yes we will always love each other no matter whose manuscripts come between us.
@Jesus
People have been updating your book for as long as I can remember, and I'm not sure any of them have gotten it right.I'd be willing to take a gander at your wife's manuscript if she's willing to pay.

kateknappartist said...

well thanks for proof reading my book...which I did self publish...and now can be ordered any where good books are sold!and seems to be enjoyed, since you gave it your blessing ...