9.27.2012

orphenia 2

The latest farm report from Dianne:
"Apparently one cow had twins today.  I found a calf all by itself.  It was lying in the sun & had its tongue hanging out & eyes rolled back up in its head.  I thought it was dead, but it was taking very shallow breaths.  I dragged it into the shade, mixed up some colostrum & force fed a little over a pint.  It was too weak to even hold its head up so I did that as best I could –wonder I didn't choke the little thing.  I later found a cow with afterbirth still attached, & she was standing over a calf.  I THINK she delivered the first calf, was still in labor & walked off & delivered the second & then just thought that one was hers. 
   Yep, we've got another bottle baby.  I mixed up more colostrum & this time we got 2 pints down. My HOPE is that when it's strong enough to stand that mama will still want it.  I'd so much rather SHE raised it..."
   However, Dianne said that the mother rejected the calf, and she fed regular (cows') formula at midnight last night. Going to put quite a dent in Dianne's schedule. Ah, the farm life.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Orphenia 2 is safely ensconced in a stall as of last night. I was afraid to leave her in the dog pen for fear she'd catch pneumonia. Being in the dry is much better for her, but means I have to make a trip to/from the barn instead of the back yard. I'm happy to report she loves the milk replacer tho (unlike the colostrum).

Dianne said...

Update: I failed to remove a tub of water from the stall (left over from when a horse was in there), & I found Orphenia INSIDE the tub this morning. She had been there long enough to heat the water because it was warm to the touch - which meant she had lost a lot of body heat. I extracted her by tilting the tub & dumping the water & then she slid out with the water. She was shivering, but has been towel dried & fed a bit over a quart of warm milk replacer. What a rough start this little one has had!

neruda said...

always they find the one thing we didn't want them to...who believes it?

Anonymous said...

for oucSPdmu [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/]gucci online shop[/URL] with confident WWUkFnCX [URL=http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ ] http://www.cheapguccireplica.tumblr.com/ [/URL]