2.16.2005

underground

About 15 years ago, I was walking down the subway platform when I was stopped dead by one of the most ravishing voices I have ever heard. I thought of that Joni Mitchell song, "Playing Real Good for Free." When I quit riding the train regularly during rush hour, I missed hearing that voice. So the other day, when I got lucky and put some money in her guitar case I was happy to get a flier advertising a gig at the Cutting Room. Last night Dolores and I went, and even on Pseudofed (her), Kathleen Mock sounded fab. Most of the 35 people there knew her work from the subway. She told us that she came from Montgomery, Alabama, 18 years ago, makes about $50 an hour busking and plays almost every day. She also said she was madly in love with someone she met in the subway. Then she gave us about the fastest ride home in her white van I've ever had, Dolores telling her all the way that she had to write songs that are less lovelorn and more political. She says she only writes in agony. I know the feeling. www.mockmusic.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This new blog appears to be more functional than the last one. For one thing, it groups the comments by original post which makes a lot more sense.

Anonymous said...

Your new blog can also contain html links and other html stuff. Click here to check out how that works and see the Cellar Image of the Day.

Anonymous said...

Ay dios mio, how can you talk about having A Valentine's Day without love? What about zee chocolates, zee flowers, my leetle petunia, zee moments listening to Freddy Fender ("I will be there until the last teardrop falls") and zee magnificent Diana Ross and the "Stop in the Name of Love" Supremes? And you, my dahling, showing up with zee roses and zee wonnerful leetle Valentine's Day card that I will fohever treasure in my heart....Oh, Ms. Surf City, you have zee most love then you can ever eeemagine.....As Edith Piaf seengs in A Hymn to Love: "If the sky should fall into the sea and the stars played all around me, all the time that we have known thee, we will sing a hymn to love....We have lived and dreamed we could do it all ...in a world that seemed our very own ...with its memory forever grateful...just for you we will seeeng a hymn to love...." Ok, it goes something like that...Lots of people love ya lots , babe...Happy Valentine's Day (2005)

Anonymous said...

Yes, but how to write in agony without sounding trite or self-indulgent? That is the trick, I guess. Any pointers? --La Rubia