9.07.2011

end of summer lament

A teenager, the niece of a friend, posted the following on Facebook yesterday:
goodbye 9PM sunlight, hello 5PM darkness. goodbye natural hair, hello straightener. goodbye real laughs, hello fake smiles. goodbye all nighters, hello alarm clock. goodbye swimming pool, hello snow. goodbye double sleepovers, hello school nights. goodbye tan, hello pale. goodbye summer, hello school

And my twentysomething countered with the following:
Goodbye hot stinky ass city, hello crisp breathable island air. Goodbye nothing to do today, hello "where'd the time go?" Goodbye empty bank account, hello promise of income.  Goodbye leg shaving, hello jeans.  Goodbye hair doing, hello hats.  Goodbye crazy people on the streets, motorcycle engines and smog, hello closed window silence and cold crazies trapped in their houses.  Goodbye baby who won't go to sleep till 10, hello 7pm bedtime. Goodbye sunscreen argument, hello sweatshirt. Goodbye high electric bills, hello heated seats.  Goodbye salads, hello beef stew.

A lot of the difference is school-related, and for some parents I daresay "Goodbye 'I'm bored' hello silence of the school day" is the happiest harbinger of fall. Me, I'm just glad I don't have to sharpen pencils any more. You?

1 comment:

D.R. said...

:)

I'll miss you too, Summer. Fall is a reluctant friend, but still my buddy.