6.28.2011

checkered hedge

This is the hedge at the Goose, the one where I transplanted some privet (for privacy) and then realized about half of it was spirea. Sigh. Maybe you can understand why I wanted to block out the former beer store building, now a quilter's center. Too bad I wasn't looking closely at the plants.
    Looks like Bear has recently mowed, however. Last night I had a dream that he came to visit the big city, and I picked him up at the Newark airport and showed him the tall buildings in the distance while waiting interminably (in terminal) to be served breakfast at a diner. He and the waitress were making fun of me for being a Vassar girl. Bear staked the sorry tomatoes also. I mean in real life.
      Frank snapped this photo of the lawn for me. He said, "As a chessboard, it looks like the king, a few pawns, and castles at either end. You're about checkmated."

7 comments:

Dianne said...

I had to take Chinchilla's foal to the vet (Roger) yesterday, & on my way home Bear was strolling thru your yard at The Goose. I think he was just admiring his handiwork. I slowed & yelled "Hello" to him, but had a car right on my bumper & couldn't stop. Imagine that: of all the times for Thomasville to become congested, it's when I wanted to stop & talk to Bear!
P.S. Foal is fine.
P.P.S. When are you coming to The Goose? F says it will be before the end of July?

cba said...

I'd love to come with her.

I miss you, Frank and all things Missouri.

As far as the hedges go, maybe transplant some bayberry or privot from B.I.

Dianne said...

P.P.S.S. Who's coming w/you & how long will you stay?

Claudia said...

My plans are uncertain due to my father's health and K's aspiration to audition for The Voice.
So far, I have bought a one-way ticket (not on the midnight train) to Atlanta.
Will be in Alabama for a week or so and then hopefully to the Goose. So far solo, though Certain Parties (see above) are murmuring.

cba said...

Me. CBA. I have feathers on the brain.

CJH said...

Eleagnus. That will make a nice privacy hedge. Fast growth, evergreen , sun or shade but faster growth in full sun
You can check it out when next in AL.

Phill said...

Do those quilters raise a ruckus late at night?