2.19.2011

block island season

When sunk deep in winter it's hard to believe in summer. And vice versa.  But people are dreaming of summer vacations in the heart of February even if they can't quite remember what it's like. Let me help:  Balmy sunrises with the smell of honeysuckle. Something cooking on the grill. Towels on the line. The susurration of the waves. The feeling of sand in your scalp and the sting of saltwater on your sunburn. Ice cream cones. Moths against the screen. Birdsong. Are we there yet?

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh and poison ivy and mosquito bites. The sound of bad bands in rockin' bars. Too many bicycles to get to the dump. I could go on, but it might be bad for business!

cba said...

You are jumping the gun, I think.

To bolster sales?

In any event, it's 77 degrees here in Atlanta, hot & sunny, and I hate it.

More bad weather, ice storms, please.

neruda said...

well just for the record it is blowing a gale of snow here and about 8-zero unbelievable after yesterday's 50+ balmy and sunny...it is literally not fit for man nor beast...summer? well you almost got me there with those powerful images.....

Top Cat Barman said...

Do Not Knock Please

If this bar's a rockin'
Don't come a knockin' (it)

Good times can be fleeting
Let us have our hazy meeting

Claudia said...

Well, I usta think the bar was calling me to come out and dance. But now that I'm a grandma and very, very staid. . .